- Use a wide range of idea creation techniques (such as brainstorming)
- Create new and worthwhile ideas (both incremental and radical concepts)
- Elaborate, refine, analyze and evaluate their own ideas in order to improve and maximize creative efforts
- Develop, implement and communicate new ideas to others effectively
- Be open and responsive to new and diverse perspectives; incorporate group input and feedback into the work
- Demonstrate originality and inventiveness in work and understand the real world limits to adopting new ideas
- View failure as an opportunity to learn; understand that creativity and innovation is a long-term, cyclical process of small successes and frequent mistakes
- Act on creative ideas to make a tangible and useful contribution to the field in which the innovation will occur
Additional resources related to creativity and innovation are listed below:
Discussion of Bloom's taxonomy and critical thinking, creativity
At Curiosita Teaching™ we believe creativity is a developmental skill that can be integrated into all teaching and learning. We combined research with classroom experiences and separated creativity into subsets of instructional skills (much like reading) that can be used in any grade level and in any content area.
Expert on creativity and innovation
Sir Ken Robinson, expert on creativity and innovation, delivers a presentation that discusses creativity and 21st century skills
(Reprint - no subscription required) May 2004 opinion editorial published in New York Times, authors W. Michael Cox, Richard Alm and Nigel Holmes, with a chart displaying the importance of creative jobs in the future.
(Subscription only.) May 2004 opinion editorial published in New York Times, authors W. Michael Cox, Richard Alm and Nigel Holmes, with a chart displaying the importance of creative jobs in the future.
Technorati index on creativity.
Thought provoking essay: "All in all, the creative act is not performed by the artist alone; the spectator brings the work in contact with the external world by deciphering and interpreting its inner qualification and thus adds his contribution to the creative act. This becomes even more obvious when posterity gives a final verdict and sometimes rehabilitates forgotten artists."
Academic essay on creativity.
Mycoted is dedicated to improving Creativity and Innovation for solving problems woldwide, with that in mind, we provide a central repository for Creativity and Innovation on the Internet as a summary of tools, techniques, mind exercises, puzzles and books.
Interactive map of the creative process.
Website which features an online book with chapter on creativity.
A place to explore creativity for yourself and your child.
Creativity Portal features expert creativity, business, coaching, and writing articles, innovative art and craft projects, fun printables, prompts and tools, and free inspirational learning resources for every stage of the creative life.
15. The 6 Myths Of Creativity (FastCompany)
December 2004 article about creativity: "These days, there's hardly a mission statement that doesn't herald it, or a CEO who doesn't laud it. And yet despite all of the attention that business creativity has won over the past few years, maddeningly little is known about day-to-day innovation in the workplace. Where do breakthrough ideas come from? What kind of work environment allows them to flourish? What can leaders do to sustain the stimulants to creativity -- and break through the barriers?"
16. NextD Purpose
Design group founded to help raise awareness regarding how the challenges of cross-disciplinary innovation leadership have radically changed at the leading edge of the marketplace and how those changes are impacting designers. Includes essays on innovation and creativity in their online journal.
In this book, each chapter introduces an enduring skill: information fluency, persuasion, communication, collaboration, and problem solving. Then, the authors present a digital solution that can be used to enhance traditional skill-based instructional practices. A collection of handouts and supporting materials tailored to each skill and tool type ends each chapter.